In February 2014, the Arizona Republic's Ryan Randazzo wrote about a plan drafted by a political consulting group commissioned by the state's largest utility "to help APS change or alter the Arizona Corporation Commission".
Pioneers of the Sun
Sample images from movie.
This video examines early efforts to utilize heliograph communications and solar energy in the state of Arizona and includes reenactments of their original uses. The heliograph was one of the first solar experiments in territorial Arizona. In the late 1880s, the U.S. Cavalry employed the heliograph during hostilities with native Americans. Solar developments in Arizona during early part of the 20th century are also explored, from the Eneas Engine and the Day & Night solar water heater to solar cookers and passive solar architecture. Pioneers Arthur Brown, John Yellot, Sherry Cole and Barbara Kerr are recognized for their contributions to solar development in Arizona and elsewhere.
Runtime is 4 minutes 3 seconds.
Available Formats for Download:
- WMV - Very Small / Low Quality - 1.3 MB
- WMV - Large - 14.7 MB (Recommended for most users)
- MPEG - Highest quality - 179 MB (Caution: very large file! Check that connection speed and disk space are adequate.)
Notes on Video Downloads:
- For all download formats, it is possible to save the video to your local drive prior to viewing ("right click" on the download link and select "save as" or "save link as"). Saving the video to a local drive (and not streaming the video) may provide better playback quality.
- To play, click link normally (appropriate player must be configured on your computer).
- The Very Small (WMV) option is best for viewing with slow dial-up connections
- The Large (WMV) option is best for viewing with high speed connections and is recommended for most users.
- For the best quality possible, select the MPEG download. Please make certain your connection speed and local hard disk space are adequate for download.
Video produced by the Arizona Department of Commerce Energy Office under a
grant from the Million Solar Roof program of the US Department of Energy.